Innovation comes from disrupting habits, reframing questions, debate and dissent, and learning from other fields. The myth of innovation is that one idea appears that suddenly changes the game. It actually takes a collection of many failed iterations of multiple innovative concepts. The Generative Fellowship is about supporting and nurturing innovators and a culture of innovation. In order to do that the Fellowship will support a cohort of people who are working on innovative ideas and inquiries at the movement level. These inquiries go beyond a single organization or campaign to the collective level. It is about strengthening that muscle that shifts the way we understand an issue or ask the critical questions, or is about a project that designs and tests new ways of engagement, or is an experiment with never before tried strategies, or is even about applying concepts borrowed from other movements.
This Fellowship is for curious, generous and generative people who are willing to lean into risk and who have been mulling some ideas that they are dying to explore. What is your idea that will get us out of the current rut that we are in? What idea, big or small, at the micro or macro level, do you want to delve into that might shed some light on new ways of advancing our movement?
The CoreAlign Generative Fellowship will connect and cultivate the next generations of innovative movement builders and leaders. Each cohort will consist of 10-15 fellows who will work together for six months to sharpen their movement-level inquiry, experiment with it, and see how far they can take their idea with the support of others in their cohort. Through the six months fellows will learn a framework and methodology that supports innovative thinking, and strengthen their capacity to build networks, do research, be resilient and be more action oriented, all skills necessary for being an innovator. The goals of this Fellowship are to:
- Increase individual’s ability to innovate
- Create a culture of innovation
- Grow the number of innovative, movement-level possibilities
- Willing to lean into risk and discomfort
- A movement level idea or inquiry ready for exploration, development, testing or prototyping.
- Fully participate in the 6-month program
- Complete 2 weekend retreats: A 3-day retreat at the beginning of the fellowship on February 6-9, 2014.
- Return in 6 months for a 3-day at the end of the 6-month fellowship (TBD)
- In between retreats participate in conference calls and networking with cohort members
- Work on their project, to the extent possible
- Share learnings from each personal project in a 15-minute TED-style talk.
Zero Cost: CoreAlign will cover all the travel, lodging and meeting related expenses of the fellowship.
February 6-9, 2014
The weaving of a social movement that is resilient to failure and that enthusiastically innovates through a series of iterations and network learning will require the following core skills:
- Day One: Build self-awareness and personal resilience (for flirting with failure)
- Day Two: Build relationships and weave a resilient network (to support innovation)
- Day Three: Tools for innovation and project planning.
A new cohort will start their 6-month launch, while the previous cohort will return to share their presentations and lessons learned in their innovation projects.
- Day One: Workshop learnings and tools from innovation projects
- Day Two: Share project presentations and peer coaching with the next cohort
Deadline to apply has passed.